Friday, June 25, 2010

ANOTHER GOUACHE PAINTING AND FRUSTRATING INTERNET CONNECTION

Any time I try painting something larger than about 6 inches wide or high with gouache, I end up with having to wipe out a lot and struggling with the sky. I can usually get a large area of flat color, though I'm still having trouble predicting what its going to look like dry, but I really have trouble when there is some gradation...as in the painting posted last week.


gouache painting on black gessoed 300# Arches, about 51/2 x 6 inches

This one came a little easier than the last one being smaller. In fact I was surprised how quickly I did it. Its from a photo I took last winter at the beach. I love the way the grasses and willow glowed from the light of the setting sun.

I did another one from a photo from that same afternoon and was going to link to it here but after waiting for the archives to load for a half hour, we'll forget that. I guess its from just too many people using the system here in the summer that makes it so much slower than in the winter. Some times I can't even get connected. I could have gotten a good start on a painting in the time I've spent with this entry and am asking myself why I do this.

LATER: Well, it dawned on me after publishing this that I could just go to older posts and find the painting I was looking for, so I did and couldn't find it. So then, in the depths of my brain, I remembered my other blog and looked and found it there. The stuff on the side of my blog still isn't coming up. Maybe its blogger.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

This is beautiful! :)

JANE MINTER said...

really like this carole and the other one with the moutains in the bg ...the colors and light are so vibrant ..beautiful

Aurora said...

carol--have you considered doing the sky in watercolors?--in the textile designs I do---I sometimes do the backgrounds in watercolors and the motifs in gouache...just a suggestion...so far I'm enjoying being here in Port Alexander...

Mary Anne Cary said...

I really like these colors Carole, and I think the sky is fine!

Carole Baker said...

Thank you Amanda, Jane, and Aurora!
And thanks for the suggestion, Aurora. I've done that some, may have originally had a watercolor sky on the hydro road view.