Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A GLACIER AND A STILL-LIFE

Without the January challenge of painting a painting everyday, February has been a slower pace month.  I challenged myself to paint at least two paintings a week, and though I've done more than that,  only two of them are keepers.... at least for now.  More than a couple will get worked on some more.


watercolor about 9 x 5.5 inches

 This is from a photo of Lamplugh Glacier.  It was painted on BFK printing paper.... I think it's the "heavyweight."  After using this paper for my snake print, I tried painting on it and found it quite usable... in fact, very good.   I'll be using it again for watercolor.


watercolor 6 x 6 inches

One day I was really frustrated with my efforts to find something to paint from my photos and  I set up this still-life..... adding to the many from last month.  I like doing these, but am so much more wanting to paint landscapes.  Its either raining or snowing most days.  I did go out in the car and started 2 small paintings of the Chilkats, but clouds came and covered them before I got too far along.  That was over a week ago and the clouds are still there.
 
I started a larger than usual watercolor from photos that I've worked on, off and on.  I pulled out my water soluble oils last week and finished one snow scene from a photo (not so good) and started another yesterday, painting from my back window.  It seems I'm painting for the first time ever, like the learning curve has started over again.

I spent a few days last week matting all of my new paintings.  One of these days I'm going to start trying to sell paintings on line....... something I've been saying for a long time.  I don't know if any will sell, but it is worth a try.

2 comments:

martinealison said...

Bonsoir,
Je suis très heureuse de vous retrouver après mes longues semaines d'absence.
Je suis très admirative devant vos aquarelles... Que ce soit les paysages ou les natures mortes vous excellez.
Gros bisous

Polly Birchall said...

The glacier painting in superb. I tried to paint something similar and it was absolute rubbish. So well done