Wednesday, April 3, 2013

DAY 16, COPYING EDGAR PAYNE

copy of EDGAR PAYNE painting
water mixable oil 5.8 x 7 inches


I bought the Edgar Payne book, COMPOSITION OF OUTDOOR PAINTING, last year but  I found it rather difficult to read and it probably wasn't the right time to really absorb what he says and shows. It's been sitting on my shelf for most of the time since I got it. I was looking at the blog of one of my favorite painters, Nathan Fowkes, and saw that he paints small studies of Payne's paintings and says he has "become a much better artist because of it."  I pulled the book off the shelf and decided to do the same.  There is a wealth of information in the book and I'm starting to read it again from the beginning.

I think I dd a pretty good job getting the value and color right.  This was done on a  Frederick canvas pad.  Everything else so far in the last weeks have been on gessoed paper or hardboard.  I think I prefer this surface over the smoother ones and  I'll work with it some more.

3 comments:

Polly Birchall said...

Stunning painting. Very well done

Celia Blanco said...

Your version is beautiful, Carole. I'm enjoying your daily paintings, they are looking wonderful!

Carole Baker said...

Polly and Celia, Thank you again. It is so good to see your kind remarks in the morning. It helps keep my motivation going.