Friday, April 5, 2013

DAY 18 AND 19

 water mixable oil 8 x 8 inches

Only one painting in these two days.  It almost got to 50 degrees yesterday and I packed up my new easel to go out for my first plein aire painting with it.   I walked around for over 30 minutes looking for a spot with a view out of the wind and finally found this tree with the light behind it looking like it might make a good painting. I was in the sun when I started , but it didn't take long before my fingers were too cold to continue.  As it was colder today, I worked on the painting inside from a photo  which was quite different from what I saw outside.   I pretty much finished it with what the photo showed, but I  got that light area too light.... and the photo of the painting makes it look even lighter.  It almost looks like snow which is isn't.

I really enjoyed painting this today painting all those dead branches.  It would have taken forever to do with watercolor with a lot of negative painting or using a resist.  I think I'm falling in love with the oils. 


And I, for sure, love my new Coulter art box and easel.  I can get everything I need into a backpack and its not very heavy.  And it sets up really fast.  Now if it will just get warm enough to get out and use.

5 comments:

Mary Anne Cary said...

This is nice Carole. I like your project of copying paintings, I have been in a real slump and can't really get going. I keep wiping paintings out. I was thinking of trying the copying a favorite artist and thought it might be like a lesson (which I am in need of). So, after seeing your results, I am definitely going to try it. I may look into your book you used. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Carole Baker said...

Thanks, Mary Anne, I feel like I learned a lot with the copying and will do more. Hope you get over your slump.

Diane Hoeptner said...

Hi Carole! I'm especially struck by the wonderful patterns the branches on the tree make, very lovely! (Thanks for sharing your set up too!)

Carole Baker said...

Thank you, Diane. The branches are what attracted me to the tree.

JANE MINTER said...

...carole i love this one as do i love the watercolour 20 21 ..compostion is super...well done on finishing 30 painting ..enjoy your new course sounds good .